PASADENA, Calif. -- On a chilly and breezy afternoon the Sewanee men's tennis squad posted a 9-0 victory over Caltech at the Braun Tennis Courts.
The visitors from Tennessee won four of the six singles matches in straight sets after sweeping the doubles matches.
Luka Mernik lost a hard fought three-set singles match at the No. 2 slot. The sophomore fought back after dropping the first set but couldn't pull out the win in a third-set super tiebreaker.
Alex Runkel had a similar situation for the Beavers at the fifth singles position. The junior took the second set but fell in the super tiebreaker 11-9.
On Monday the Beavers face-off against the nation's top ranked team - Amheart. It is the third straight season that Caltech has faced the country's best team or the defending national champion.
Tennis Match Results
Sewanee vs Caltech
3/18/2012 at Pasadena, CA
(Braun Tennis Court)
Sewanee 9, Caltech 0
1. Rand Jackson (SEWANEE) def. Devashish Joshi (CALTECH) 7-6 (7-3), 6-2
2. Grant Hopkins (SEWANEE) def. Luka Mernik (CALTECH) 7-5, 3-6, 10-7
3. Levi Joy (SEWANEE) def. Anish Agarwal (CALTECH) 6-1, 6-2
4. Aaron Cotton (SEWANEE) def. Jeff Shen (CALTECH) 6-2, 6-1
5. David Human (SEWANEE) def. Alex Runkel (CALTECH) 6-4, 4-6, 11-9
6. Alex Cooper (SEWANEE) def. Ryan Batterman (CALTECH) 6-0, 6-2
1. Grant Hopkins/Levi Joy (SEWANEE) def. Luka Mernik/Devashish Joshi (CALTECH) 8-5
2. Alex Cooper/Rand Jackson (SEWANEE) def. Anish Agarwal/Alex Runkel (CALTECH) 8-3
3. David Human/Aaron Cotton (SEWANEE) def. Fred Zhao/Amol Kamat (CALTECH) 8-2
Official: N/A T-2:54 A-23