ORANGE, CA - In their opening SCIAC match the Beavers fell to Chapman 8-1 on Saturday afternoon.
The Beavers fought hard in doubles play but couldn't get over the hump in three tightly contested matches. The No. 1 doubles team of Rebekah Kitto and Monica Li fell in a tight-breaker as they lost 9-8. Michelle Lee and Jenny Sheng went deep into their eight-game match but dropped an 8-5 decision. The fate was similar for Michelle Tang and Sophia Chen at the third doubles match as they came up short 8-6.
Kitto continued her individual dominance against conference foes. In posting her 18th straight win in SCIAC singles play, the senior took out Andrea Hammer 6-2, 6-4.
Chapman won the remaining five singles matches in straight sets.
Tennis Match Results
Caltech vs Chapman University
Feb 08, 2014 at Anaheim, CA
(Anaheim Hills Racquet Club)
Chapman University 8, Caltech 1
1. Rebekah Kitto (CALTECHW) def. Andrea Hammer (CU-W) 6-2, 6-4
2. Rachel Fox (CU-W) def. Monica Li (CALTECHW) 6-0, 6-2
3. Sophia Duong (CU-W) def. Michelle Lee (CALTECHW) 6-1, 6-0
4. Madeline Saunders (CU-W) def. Michelle Tang (CALTECHW) 6-0, 6-1
5. Kelley Klebenow (CU-W) def. Sophia Chen (CALTECHW) 6-4, 6-1
6. Anna Nelson (CU-W) def. Katie Antilla (CALTECHW) 6-2, 6-0
1. Andrea Hammer/Rachel Fox (CU-W) def. Monica Li/Rebekah Kitto (CALTECHW) 9-8
2. Sophia Duong/Madeline Saunders (CU-W) def. Michelle Lee/Jenny Sheng (CALTECHW) 8-5
3. Kelley Klebenow/Madison Mathis (CU-W) def. Michelle Tang/Sophia Chen (CALTECHW) 8-6
Caltech 0-1; Regional ranking #16
Chapman University 1-0; Regional ranking #12