CLAREMONT, CA - Playing their first SCIAC match of the season, the Beavers stepped into the deep end of pool as they played the defending league champion.
The Athenas, who came into the match ranked fourth in the nation, posted an 8-1 win.
Highlighting the match for Caltech was Katie Antilla's first ever collegiate win. The first-year posted a 6-4, 6-7, 10-8 victory at the sixth singles spot.
Rebekah Kitto's 18-match singles winning streak came to a tough ending as she fell in a third set super tiebreaker. It is her first loss against a league foe since late in her sophomore year.
During doubles play Caltech play each match tight throughout but couldn't pull-out a win. Monica Li and Kitto fought tooth-and-nail against Caroline Ward and Katie Kuosman but fell in a tiebreaker.
The dual match is the first of four against conference opponents who are ranked in the preseason ITA top 30.
1. Caroline Ward (CMS) def. Rebekah Kitto (CALTECHW) – 6-2, 6-7, 10-8
2. Katie Kuosman (CMS) def. Monica Li (CALTECHW) - 6-2, 6-1
3. Sarah Kukino (CMS) def. Jenny Sheng (CALTECHW) – 7-6, 6-4
4. Erin Coughlan (CMS) def. Michelle Lee (CALTECHW) - 6-4, 6-1
5. Victoria Nichols (CMS) def. Sophia Chen (CALTECHW) - 6-2, 6-1
6. Katie Antilla (CALTECHW) def. Nithya Menon (CMS) – 6-4, 6-7, 10-8
1. Caroline Ward/Katie Kuosman (CMS) def. Monica Li/Rebekah Kitto (CALTECHW) 9-8
2. Crystal Kim/Yvonne Likomanova (CMS) def. Michelle Lee/Jenny Sheng (CALTECHW) 8-5
3. Brittan Sutphin/Sheena Patel (CMS) def. Valerie Pietrasz/Sophia Chen (CALTECHW) 8-6
Caltech 1-2; Regional ranking #16
Chapman University 4-4; Regional ranking #1, National ranking #4