PASADENA, CA – The Beavers posted a down-to-the-wire win over Vanguard, 5-4, on Friday afternoon.
The clinching point for the Beavers came down to the No. 2 singles match as Monica Li won in three-sets. The sophomore posted a 5-7, 6-0, 6-1 win to seal the fifth team point for Caltech.
In the top singles match Rebekah Kitto rallied late in recording a 2-6, 6-2, 6-4 win. Down 4-1 in the final set, Kitto reeled off five straight games to win the match.
Jenny Sheng made the top three spots a clean sweep for Caltech with a straight sets (6-2, 6-2) win at the No. 3 position.
The Beavers also won the top two doubles matches. Kitto and Li tallied an 8-2 win in the first position while Sheng and Michelle Lee won 8-3 at the No. 3 slot.
Caltech 5, Vanguard 4
1. Rebekah Kitto (CALTECHW) def. Juliet Labarthe (VANGUARD) 2-6, 6-2, 6-4
2. Monica Li (CALTECHW) def. Sophie Angner (VANGUARD) 5-7, 6-0, 6-1
3. Jenny Sheng (CALTECHW) def. Gabriele Alford (VANGUARD) 6-2, 6-2
4. Ashley Wao-Udin (VANGUARD) def. Michelle Lee (CALTECHW) 6-0, 6-1
5. Michaele Sullivan (VANGUARD) def. Sophia Chen (CALTECHW) 6-1, 3-6, 6-3
6. Brook Ferslov (VANGUARD) def. Michelle Tang (CALTECHW) 6-1, 6-1
1. Rebekah Kitto/Monica Li (CALTECHW) def. Sophie Angner/Juliet Labarthe (VANGUARD) 8-2
2. Michelle Lee/Jenny Sheng (CALTECHW) def. Michaele Sullivan/Gabriele Alford (VANGUARD) 8-3
3. Brook Ferslov/Ashley Wao-Udin (VANGUARD) def. Sophia Chen/Valerie Pietrasz (CALTECHW) 8-1