PASADENA, CA - In a match that could have gone either way, the Whitworth women's tennis team won 5-4 on Monday afternoon over Caltech.
The Pirates won the close matches in both singles and doubles action to claim the win.
Caltech's duo of Rebekah Kitto and Monica Li won 8-2 at the top doubles position but Whitworth's No. 2 doubles team of Morgan McDivitt and Megan Wingfield won by the same score. The No. 3 doubles match went the Pirates way as Jessi Steele and KC McConnell won an 8-6 decision.
Li and Kitto were the first singles matches off the court as they combined to loss just one game to put Caltech up 3-2. Whitworth won at No. 5 singles when Jessica Yeung retired with an injury.
The fourth singles match to wrap-up was the No. 3 spot between Stephanie Kwan and Taylor Pena. Kwan pulled out a 6-1, 6-4 victory
The last matches on the court went Whitworth's way. The Pirates won at the No. 4 and No 6 singles matches to secure the team victory. Wingfield and McConnell each won in straight sets.
Tennis Match Results
Whitworth vs Caltech
3/25/2013 at Pasadena, CA
(Braun Tennis Courts)
Whitworth 5, Caltech 4
1. Monica Li (CALTECH) def. Mooney, Saryn (WHTW) 6-0, 6-0
2. Rebekah Kitto (CALTECH) def. Steele, Jessi (WHTW) 6-1, 6-0
3. Stephanie Kwan (CALTECH) def. Pena, Taylor (WHTW) 6-1, 6-4
4. Wingfield, Megan (WHTW) def. Michelle Lee (CALTECH) 6-4, 7-6 (7-4)
5. McDivitt, Morgan (WHTW) def. Jessica Yeung (CALTECH) 6-4, 3-0, retired
6. McConnell, KC (WHTW) def. Zeke Millikan (CALTECH) 6-0, 6-1
1. Rebekah Kitto/Monica Li (CALTECH) def. Mooney, Saryn/Pena, Taylor (WHTW) 8-2
2. McDivitt, Morgan/Wingfield, Megan (WHTW) def. Jessica Yeung/Michelle Lee (CALTECH) 8-2
3. Steele, Jessi/McConnell, KC (WHTW) def. Stephanie Kwan/Valerie Pietrasz (CALTECH) 8-6
Official: N/A T-3:49 A-33