DALLAS, TX - In their first of two matches in a 24-hour period in Texas, the Beavers knocked off Texas Lutheran 8-1 on Sunday afternoon.
In winning five of the six singles matches, the Beaver didn't drop a set. Monica Li cruised to a 6-2, 6-1 win at the second spot while Jenny Sheng won via a 6-0, 6-0 tally in the third position. It was the first-years team leading eighth win of the season.
Michelle Lee posted her seventh win of the 2014 with a 6-4, 7-5 victory at the fourth singles position. Sophia Chen and Michelle Tang won at the fifth and sixth spot by dropping just four games combined.
A day after trying a new doubles configurations, the combinations were tried again with just as effective results. Rebekah Kitto teamed up with Sheng to win 8-6 at the top spot. Li and Lee fell in just one game in their eight-game pro-set win.
At the third doubles spot, Valerie Pietrasz and Chen were flawless in their 8-0 triumpth.
The Beavers play Texas-Dallas in their final of two matches in Texas on Monday afternoon.
Caltech 8, Texas Lutheran 1
1. Sophia Vega (TLU) def. Rebekah Kitto (CALTECHW) 7-6, 6-1
2. Monica Li (CALTECHW) def. Caitlin Zarr (TLU) 6-2, 6-1
3. Jenny Sheng (CALTECHW) def. Ashlynn Long (TLU) 6-0, 6-0
4. Michelle Lee (CALTECHW) def. Brook Taylor (TLU) 6-4, 7-5
5. Sophia Chen (CALTECHW) def. Leah Howell (TLU) 6-1, 6-1
6. Michelle Tang (CALTECHW) def. Preslie Paulich (TLU) 6-1, 6-1
1. Rebekah Kitto/Jenny Sheng (CALTECHW) def. Sophia Vega/Caitlin Zarr (TLU) 8-6
2. Monica Li/Michelle Lee (CALTECHW) def. Brook Taylor/Ashlynn Long (TLU) 8-1
3. Valerie Pietrasz/Sophia Chen (CALTECHW) def. Preslie Paulich/Leah Howell (TLU) 8-0