PASADENA, CA - In a match-up between not only SCIAC rivals but regionally ranked opponents, the University of Redlands came out on top 9-0 on Saturday afternoon.
The Bulldogs came into the contest ranked 17th in the nation and third in the ITA West Region. Caltech sported a ranking of 11th in the region. The Beavers have never been ranked higher in school history.
Redlands grabbed the day's momentum by dropping four games during doubles action as they took a 3-0 team lead heading into singles play.
At the No. 1 singles spot, Rebekah Kitto and Jessica Ly dualed into a third set. Kitto, who came into the match ranked 10th in the region, won the first 6-4. However, Ly battled back by claiming the second frame 7-6. Ly rode that second set win into a 10-1 win in a super-tiebreaker in the final set. Ly is the seventh ranked player in the region.
Monica Li and Natalie Etchegarary also had a match-up between regionally ranked foes at the No. 2 singles position. Etchegaray, the 16th ranked player, posted a 6-0, 6-1 win over Li, who had a ranking of 14 entering the day.
The Bulldogs dropped two games during the final four singles matches to close out the team win.
#17 Redlands 9, Caltech 0
1. Jessica Ly (UR) def. Rebekah Kitto (CALTECHW) 4-6, 7-6, 10-1
2. Natalie Etchegarary (UR) def. Monica Li (CALTECHW) 6-0, 6-1
3. Ceara Sumida (UR) def. Michelle Lee (CALTECHW) 6-0, 6-0
4. Lauren Villanueva (UR) def. Sophia Chen (CALTECHW) 6-1, 6-0
5. Pagie Press (UR) def. Michelle Tang (CALTECHW) 6-1, 6-0
6. Emily Murnin (UR) def. Valerie Pietrasz (CALTECHW) 6-0, 6-0
1. Ceara Sumida/Jessica Ly (UR) def. Monica Li/Rebekah Kitto (CALTECHW) 8-3
2. Natalie Etchegarary/Julia Pollak (UR) def. Valerie Pietrasz/Sophia Chen (CALTECHW) 8-0
3. Lauren Villanueva/Gabriella Vaquez (UR) def. Michelle Lee/Michelle Tang (CALTECHW) 8-1