|Hometown:||Emerald Hills, Calif.|
Coach's Comments: "Sophie really blossomed as a runner during the fall cross country season her senior year. She actually edged out [teammate] Jena [Srikanth] at the state championships by .4 seconds. I already value her perspective and I'm eager to work with her over the next four years."
- 19th overall at NCAA West Regionals (23:06.4)
- 6th overall, 1st among freshmen at SCIAC Championships (28:17.50)
- 3rd overall at Biola Invitational, set Caltech 5k record(17:48.36)
- 4th overall at Pomona-Pitzer Invitational, set Caltech 8k record (22:24)
- 6th overall at Redlands Invite (17:12)
- 26th overall at SCIAC Multi-Duals (23:54.38)
Research and STEM activities
Conducted research on the Age Dependency of the Turnip Mosaic Virus with Dr. Clare Casteel as part of the Young Scholar's Program in the UC Davis Department of Plant Pathology...Conducted her own research on Alu Polymorphisms using the database ALFRED and the program PHYLIPs.
Prior to Caltech
Earned Honorable Mention All-Mercury News as a senior...Placed 66th at the Division I State Championships (first in school history to compete)...Third-fastest female runner in school history...Named MVP and served as captain...Four-time All-League selection in the 3200m...Two-time cross country All-League honoree...Won the Joe Mann Award.
Born in Redwood City, Calif....Daughter of Beth and Ian...Has one younger sister, Miette....Skis and hikes.